Friday, August 18, 2017

Another rainy day in Ketchikan and then off to Portland, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, August 16 - 18, 2017

Wednesday morning was another rainy day.  I did some of my early morning walk around MacDonalds and the Ketchikan Mall, then stopped at the Saxman Totem Park and Totem Row - they were not open yet so I could not get into the buildings, nor did I have to pay the $5.00 entry fee.  I did get to walk around and take photos at no cost other than my time and energy.












When I got back to Megan's apartment, one of her neighbors was outside enjoying the wet lawn.




Our hike for the day included driving to the end of the road at Beaver Falls and then try to hike up to Lower Silvis Lake, about two miles each way.




We were told to expect a steep road with many switchbacks and that is indeed what we encountered.  What we did not expect was the rain - the forecast for Ketchikan was showers starting at 3:00 or later.  Instead we got rain from the very beginning of the hike and it went from a light rain and mist to a more consistent and heavier rain as we went higher and higher.






The two lakes send water down pipes to generators to create electricity for Ketchikan. 






There were numerous waterfalls and weeping walls (rock walls with water seeping out).


And if the sky had been clear, the views would have been even more impressive.


We did come across a Christmas Tree Cutting Area.


As the rain got heavier, after about a mile and half of uphill, we decided we had had enough.  We turned around and hiked back down to the car and then went back to Megan's apartment,

Back at Megan's apartment, we put everything in the dryer and had lunch, then went into town to run errands.  And then for our last dinner in Ketchikan, we ordered take out from one of Megan's favorites, the Dockside Cafe - fish tacos for Patty, a bacon-mushroom-swiss burger and Key Lime shake for Megan, and a salmon basket (fish and chips) for me.

Thursday, I took Megan into work for 6:30, then brought Patty a pastry to enjoy with her morning coffee.  We cleaned Megan's apartment and packed, then drove to Megan's office.  We said goodbye to her boss and Megan took us to the airport ferry.  We took the ferry to the Ketchikan Airport, and our Alaska Air flights back to Seattle and on to Portland were routine. Martha picked us up at the airport.  At home we unpacked, got dinner and ate on the back deck with Martha and Stowe.

Friday I went to Les Schwab to have the tires changed.  While the work was being done, I had planned to use my laptop - but it was dead.  It would not turn on at all.  After the tires were changed, I was also told that the brakes were almost shot.  So I went to the Apple Store at the Washington Square Mall in Tigard - they checked and confirmed that at least the data was still there even though the computer was dead.  So I ended up buying a new MacBook Pro (on which I typed this post later in the day), then took the Volvo to the dealer for the scheduled appointment to have the oil changed and added in having the brakes changed.  They gave me a loaner car and I took both the old and new computers to MacForce, the local authorized Apple repair shop - they were able to get the data off and clone a new drive which they then copied onto the new computer and all is well.  So a day that was only scheduled to be a relatively modest expense of changing tires and an oil change ended up being a much more expensive day.  But I then had a new computer and had the car ready for our next adventure and road trip from Portland to Phoenix with planned stops at Lava Beds National Monument, Crater Lake National Park, Lassen Volcano National Park and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment