Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Herring Cove and then a cruise on the Aleutian Ballard, Monday, August 14, 2017

On my Monday morning walk, I found some different views of the city of Ketchikan, including one that shows just how the city is built on a narrow strip of land right up to the mountains behind the buildings.




Megan brought us to Herring Cove and the first thing we saw was a bear feeding on fresh salmon from the river - the only problem was that we were so far away my camera did not catch much of the action.  Megan had her long range lens on her camera, but a camera phone is no match for a real camera.  While I had my phone on maximum zoom, it is difficult to shoot photos and not have them blurry - that black dot in the middle is the bear.  The good news is that I will always have pictures of the bear in my mind if not on my phone.




Wherever there are fish, eagles will sit watching for their food.






To prepare for our outing on the Aleutian Ballard, we went back to the Megan's apartment where we were greeted by some of the neighbors.


We then drove into downtown Ketchikan where we had clam chowder for lunch at the Bar Harbor Restaurant.  After lunch, we walked through the area where the four piers are for cruise ships.  One thing the city has done is to place these stained glass paintings on the lampposts.



Once finally on the boat, it was time for selfies.


In front of the seats, there are display tanks and working space for the crew to demonstrate how they do long line fishing, and to show us the bounty of the seas.



We were free to roam the ship except when they were hauling pots and hooks from the water.



We stopped at one spot where there were lots of eagles waiting for any fish scraps from the local fishing boats.  At first I tried still photos of the eagles.



I had better luck with videos.  This first one I caught an eagle flying by.


In this video, I caught an eagle flying by, swooping in to catch a fish and then flying off to the woods.


The crew did multiple demonstrations for us and with us, including the dungeoness crab, rock crab, king crab, rat fish, prawns, octopus and more.













At the end of the three hour cruise, they posed for photos with the passengers.



They put on a great show and a cruise on the Aleutian Ballad was one of the most fun activities in Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment