Saturday, April 23, 2016

Two quiet days in Portland before going to New England, April 19 - 23

We continued shopping for and setting up things for us at the house in Portland; a dresser and nightstand for me and a storage unit for Patty in the bedroom; a desk for my office; more shelves in the second floor bathroom; another lamp for the living room; and various small items around the house.  This has meant several shopping trips, both to used furniture places and to new, such as Bed, Bath and Beyond, Fred Meyers Home, Home Depot, etc.  Things are looking up and are more organized.  One of the ways to help decide what to get was to take photos of the items and prices.









































Portland had three days of record high temps, Monday through Wednesday.  At the airport, the official temps were in the upper 80s, breaking old records by five or more degrees each day - but the airport is not a heat island like the city and has the breezes from the Columbia River basin.  The Wunderground Hawthorne monitoring station is only a few blocks from us and it reported temps in the upper 90s.  I took this photo in the car while going for gas - by the time I took the photo, the temp was down from 102 degrees.


Wednesday, I caught the 11:00 p.m. United flight to Chicago, arriving there at 5:00 a.m., then the 7:30 flight arriving in Boston at 10:30 a.m.  I took Logan Express to Framingham where Helen met me, and we went out for lunch.  In the afternoon, I took it easy, and a little before 5:00 we walked to the park where Helen's grandson Allie had practice of Little League.  I carried dinner for Helen, Phil and me: tuna sandwiches, chips, water, ice and cookies, and we enjoyed a light dinner while watching his team practice. 

On the walk back home, we stopped at Medusa Brewery - Helen and Phil had always seen them as very busy so were interested.  It turns out they only sell beer and no food other than pretzels and artisan cheeses - signs tell you that you are free to bring your own food, and many people had brought pizzas from the pizza shop next door.  I ordered a pretzel to share and a beer for me:

BADGERWEISS

Hefeweizen – 4.7%
A Bavarian yeast strain gives this light, dry wheat beer its signature spicy clove-like character.  Brewed with 100% Massachusetts-grown red winter wheat and pilsner malt from Valley Malt in Hadley, MA.   A beer style favored by woodland creatures everywhere.

Shortly after sitting down with my beer, Phil arrived (Helen and I had walked, he drove) and tried the beer - it was not for him.  After the beer was done, Phil drove home and Helen and I walked to Amaia Martini Bar, another place on Main St. in Hudson that Helen had wanted to try.  We each had a nice glass of chardonnay and we tried an order of Bacalhau Cakes.

 
Friday morning, after Phil left for work, Helen was going through some old photos, looking for ones to use for their 50th wedding anniversary party in November.  She came across these two from our wedding in 1975.

Phil, me and Helen, with Laura in front
I could not figure out how to rotate this one.  My sisters Helen, Jane and Joan in front, brother Gary, my mother and me in back row in front of the house in Conway, MA
After doing some work on my classes, I left Hudson around 8:30 and got to Johnson State around 12:30 where I had lunch with a student who is doing an independent study with me and with my colleague and full time professor Henrique.  Then I taught my class at 3:00, left Johnson around 5:00 and got back to Hudson around 9:15 p.m. for a glass of wine and chat with Helen before bed.

Saturday, Helen and I went for a walk, then Helen, Phil and I went out for Sunday brunch with my niece Leta and her husband Bill.  And then back to Logan Express and the Boston Airport.  I had been upgraded to first class on the flight to Denver and the connecting flight to Portland.  But it was not to be, as the Denver flight was delayed several hours, too late to catch the last flight to Portland - so I was rescheduled on flights to Chicago and then to Portland.  The delay gave me added time in Boston, which I used updating this blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment