Wednesday, October 12, 2016

A trip to Vermont to teach Sept. 21 - 25

On Wednesday the 21st, I was scheduled to fly to San Francisco, then Chicago and finally to Burlington, scheduled to arrive around 10:00 p.m.  But when I got into Chicago, I saw that my connecting flight was delayed several hours.  United would allow me to change flights without cost, but not pay for me to spend the night in Chicago.  So I changed my flight until Thursday morning, and booked at the Elk Grove Hotel in Elk Grove, IL.  It had been a Ramada and was a bit rundown, but my room was fine.  Thursday morning, I found out that the flight I was scheduled to be on arrived in Burlington at 1:30 a.m. - I am very glad I stayed in Elk Grove.  That would be too late to get a rental car and then drive the hour to my hotel in Jeffersonsville. 

Thursday's flight was uneventful and I got to the hotel about 4:00.  I went for a long walk on rails to trails path, had dinner and a quiet evening.  Friday morning, I got up and did my online classwork, then went for a walk, and then drove to Johnson State.  I made copies of handouts for classes, made sure everything was all set for using the Tele-presence classroom and then drove to Lyndon State.  Even though my route was through the mountains and I took the northerly route, there was only a moderate amount of fall foliage.


Class went well Friday afternoon with me in the Lyndon Tele-presence room with the Lyndon students and the digital connection with the Johnson students worked as planned.  Class went well and we covered everything I wanted, so I cancelled the Saturday class meeting.

Saturday morning, I went out for an early morning walk around Lyndonville and Lyndon Center.  I came across these beautiful planters in the center of Lyndonville. 



I then headed to Stowe and came across one of three covered bridges on my trip (the other two were in Cambridge and Johnson, but neglected to take photos of them on this trip).


As I continued on, I came across some more foliage on the back roads I took to Stowe.




I parked in the center of Stowe, and hiked the Stowe Recreation Trail from the start in the center to the end 5.25 miles away.  Near the end, I came across a wedding being set up near the Top Notch Resort.




Saturday night, I stayed at the Gables Inn and had dinner at Charlie B's Restaurant at Stoweflake Resort, an easy ten minute walk away.

Sunday morning, I was up early and drove into the Red Cross for my 7:15 a.m. appointment.  I got to see Ingi, a phlebotemist I have known for years (he is a Bosnian refugee and has been working at the Red Cross for about 15 years).  We had a nice chat.  I then went to the Rotisserie where I met my friends Bridgette and Mike Parascando for brunch.  And then it was three flights - to Newark, San Francisco and Portland to get back home again on another long travel day.

No comments:

Post a Comment