Thursday, October 20, 2016

Oregon, Washington, Massachusetts, Vermont and Antarctica, Oct. 13 - 18, 2016

After a quiet day back in Portland on Wednesday (including packing to travel again), Megan and Patty took me to the airport for my overnight flight to Newark and Thursday morning flight to Boston.

Meanwhile, Megan spent her last two days in Portland (including packing to travel again) before heading to Antarctica on Friday.  For their trek, Ben and Martha left Thursday evening for Seattle on Amtrak, Ben had his interview at University of Washington Friday, and they celebrated Martha's birthday in Seattle before returning to Portland on Sunday evening.

Megan's travel involved flying from Portland to LAX on an Alaska Airlines flight, then on to Sydney, Australia, on a Qantas flight and then to Christchurch, New Zealand, on an Emirates flight.  She checked in with the US Antarctic Program and got ready to fly to McMurdo, Antarctica - but her flight was delayed due to weather.  So she used some of the delay to visit the botanical gardens.




















Then she finally got to fly to Antarctica on a US Air Force Reserve C-17 Joint Base Lewis McChord (the base is just two hours from Portland).  Among other cargo, there was a helicopter on the plane.

























And with that trek, Megan begins another season as a shuttle driver in Antarctica.

My trek took me Boston by plane, and then by Logan Express bus to Framingham, MA, where I was met by my sister and brother-in-law, Helen and Phil, for the ride to their home in Hudson.  Friday, Helen and I drove north to Lyndon State College to drop off handouts for the students there, and then to Johnson State College for me to teach my tax class and for Helen to meet with the other participants of a group trip to Austria scheduled for April 2017.  While Helen's meeting went well, my class had problems.  Vidyo software would not connect the two classrooms, so we had to use cellphones on speaker phone for audio connection and Powerpoint slides that I had posted online.  We managed to make it through the class.

Afterwards, Helen and I went to the Fledermaus Tea House for dinner.  My friends Renate and Glenn own and operate the Tea House, and are leading the Austria Tour.


After a superb dinner, Helen and I spent a quiet night at the Sunset Motor Inn in Morrisville.  Saturday morning, we started to explore the area and then I realized my sunglasses were missing.  We drove back to Johnson State and found my glasses in my office.  We then drove to Quechee, VT, where we met our mutual friend Jean and had lunch at Simon Pearce's store and restaurant.  Jean will be joining Helen on the Austria tour.



Saturday afternoon, we drove the rest of the way back to Hudson, with a stop at the New Hampshire State Liquor Store in Concord.  The two day trip to Vermont was perfectly timed, as the foliage was at or near the peak wherever we went.

Sunday morning, we went to the Old Mill Restaurant for brunch with my niece Jennifer and her sons Nate and Allie, and my niece Leta and her husband Bill and their daughter Katie.  We had a pleasant visit, including feeding the ducks on the old mill pond.


Later, on our Sunday afternoon walk, Helen and I saw some colorful foliage even in the urban environment of Hudson.



Monday morning, Helen and I walked to Jennifer's apartment, then walked Nate and Allie to school, a pleasant 30 minutes with the boys.  We passed the local cemetery and on the way back I took this photo of the beautiful foliage there.


Later, Helen and I went out to lunch at the Rail Trail Flatbread Company and then it was time to pack up and get ready to travel.  Tuesday, it was back to Framingham for the Logan Express bus, and then flights on United to Newark and on to Portland.  And finally back home by car with Patty, and to bed just before midnight Pacific time on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment