Saturday, November 17, 2018

A day exploring museums in Warsaw, Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018

While in Lipowy Most, I made plans to meet Helen (a lady from Ottawa, Canada, who was also an Angloville volunteer) for coffee at 9:30 Saturday morning.  Google Maps said it was a 45 minute walk, so I checked out of the Warsaw Golden Tulip Hotel and headed out a little after 8:30.  On my way, I passed by Hala Mirowska where there were lots of booths selling fresh vegetables and flowers, and where a quick look inside showed that this was one of permanent old-style markets inside, where many vendors had small shops.  I later found online that there were two buildings of shops plus the booths outside.


Helen and I planned to meet at the Green Caffe Nero near the Kolumna Sygmunta where we had coffee last week after the Angloville tour.  A few minutes after I had sat down, Kathryn (the Angloville coordinator) and three Anglos who had been with us in Lipowy Most (Ian, Pauline and Emily) came in for coffee - all four of them were going on the 10:00 tour with lunch before heading off to another week of Angloville on Sunday morning.  Helen arrived a few minutes later and we all chatted for about 20 minutes before those four set off for the Angloville tour.

Before Helen and I left, I noticed this poster for a movie and theater festival that was going on in Warsaw - I found it interesting that the film was formed in the shape of a Jewish Star of David.


A little after 10:00, Helen and I set out for tour of the nearby Royal Castle.  Since we were senior citizens, we got in for free.




It is overwhelming and amazing.  Amazing because of the multiple wars it has been through (including being destroyed during WWII) yet many of the valuable pieces of art and sculpture had been preserved.  Overwhelming because there were so many amazing rooms and pieces of art.


 
One of the Royal thrones
The Royal Bedroom





We spent two hours there and could easily have spent two days.  We then headed for the Warsaw Uprising Museum and planned to make a stop at the Hala Mirowska.  We met Stephanie on our way  - another Angloville volunter who had been with us at Lipowy Most - in a city of several million people, visiting spots that were several miles apart, what an amazing coincidence it was to run into people we knew.

While exploring the Hala Mirowska, I found some of the traditional Krówka candy and bought several bags - several of the Polish participants suggested this to me as a good example of something Polish to bring home.  After visiting both buildings of the Hala, we continued on and found a nice little cafe on a side street, the U Bar.  For 23 złotys, I had a half liter bottle of Kormoran beer and a plate of french dumplings with tomato sauce and cheese.  For 23 złotys, Helen had tea, pierogis and a dessert.  It was quiet, the food was great and the price was very reasonable - 23 złotys is about $5.75.



After lunch, we went to the Warsaw Uprising Museum - it tells the history of the city residents who fought back and rose up (often from the sewers) to resist the Germans and later the Russians in WWII.



Then it was back to my hotel to retrieve my luggage, and a taxi ride to the Courtyard by Marriott Warsaw Airport Hotel for Saturday night.  With my flight Sunday morning at 7:20, I can get up and walk across the street to the terminal.  And so my time in Poland has come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment